Picking your primary care providers
Your primary care provider (PCP) and primary dental provider (PDP)
When you join AmeriHealth Caritas District of Columbia (DC), one of our doctors will manage your care. This doctor is called your primary care provider or your PCP. Your PCP sees you and your family for check-ups, refers you to other doctors when needed and is your health care partner.
How to pick your PCP
- If your current PCP is a member of AmeriHealth Caritas District of Columbia's network, you may stay with that doctor.
- If you need a PCP, you can find a doctor from our provider directory. The provider directory has the office locations, hours of operation, telephone numbers, and other information about AmeriHealth DC's providers.
- Call Enrollee Services at 1-202-408-4720 or toll-free 1-800-408-7511 if you need help picking a doctor.
- If you have trouble choosing a PCP, refer to your enrollee handbook.
- Choose a PCP for each family member in your plan. You can also choose the same PCP for everyone in your family.
- AmeriHealth DC will send you a enrollee ID card. Your card will have your PCPs name and phone number on it.
Tips for picking your PCP
- Pick a doctor who is close to your home or work.
- Try to pick a doctor who can send you to the hospital you want. The provider directory lists which hospitals a PCP can send you to.
- Choose two doctors because sometimes the PCP you select won't be able to take new patients. We will let you know if you need to pick a different doctor.
Your primary dental provider (PDP)
When you join AmeriHealth DC, the plan's dental program will send you information about choosing your dentist. Your dentist is called your primary dental provider or PDP. You can call our dental services provider toll-free at 1-800-685-0615. You can also call Enrollee Services at 1-202-408-4720 or toll-free at 1-800-408-7511 for questions about how to choose or change your PDP.